You are here

Your experience

We welcome all feedback from patients, family members, and other service users. Your feedback helps us to improve quality patient care as we listen, respond to and learn from your experience in our hospitals. 

You can give feedback in a number of ways using the contact details below.

Your Service Your Say

Your Service Your Say is a HSE process to listen and respond to your feedback about our services. Your feedback might be a comment, compliment or complaint.

Your feedback helps us to improve our services and provide safe and high-quality care and treatment.

Comments, compliments and complaints

You can share your experience of using our services in a number of ways. You can give feedback on what worked, could improve or did not work.

In person: Tell the people caring for you today. They will try to help you straight away.
Online: Complete the online feedback form.
By email: Email us at

By phone
Phone HSE Your Service Your Say on 1800 424 555, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
From a mobile or outside of Ireland phone +353 1 642 4555.
Freephone HSELive on 1800 700 700, Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm. They will take down your feedback and send it to HSE Your Service Your Say.
From outside of Ireland, phone +353 1 240 8787.

In writing
You can send a letter or completed feedback form to the HSE service you want to give feedback on.
To send us your letter or form:

  • use the feedback box at one of our hospitals
  • give it to a member of staff
  • ask a staff member for the right postal address for that service
  • post it to HSE Your Service Your Say

HSE Your Service Your Say,
Oak House,
Limetree Avenue,
Millennium Park,
Co. Kildare,
W91 KDC2

Our feedback form is available in 24 languages. You can ask for a paper form at any of our locations. You can also download it from this page.

Through a complaints officer
There are complaints officers across the HSE. A member of staff can give you the contact details of the complaints officer for the service you want to complain about.

List of HSE complaints officers

Comments and compliments
A comment could be a suggestion to improve the service. It can also be an observation you made or something that we could learn from.

You can also give a compliment. For example, what a service or our staff did well.

Include details of:

  • what happened and when
  • who was involved
  • where it took place

We will share your feedback with the service or person.

Making a complaint
You may have had a poor experience and told a member of staff or the person providing your care, for example by phone or in person.

If they cannot help within 48 hours they will ask you if you want to have your complaint looked at by a complaints officer. They can send your complaint to them for you.

What to include in a written complaint
You might send a complaint using our online form, email, letter or printed feedback form.

Your complaint should include:

  • what happened and when
  • who was involved
  • where it happened
  • what your concerns are
  • have you done anything to resolve this matter
  • what you want to happen now

Please provide any extra information and copies of other relevant documents.

What happens after you make a complaint
Within 5 working days we will let you know that we have received your complaint.

Then we will:

  • look into your complaint and respond to you within 30 working days
  • contact you to ask for more time, if we need it
  • keep you updated every 20 working days after that

We might phone or ask to meet you to hear more about it.

When we are finished looking into your complaint we will provide you with a report. This will include our findings and recommendations.

Internal reviews
If you are not happy with the recommendations in the report, you can ask for an internal review. You will find out how to do this in the letter you get with your report.

In an internal review we look back over the recommendations we made. We will do this within 20 working days or let you know if we need more time.

External reviews
You can also ask for an external independent review.
How to complain to a public service provider -
Ombudsman for Children complaints -

HSE Your Service Your Say feedback forms

We have information and feedback forms in 24 languages.

Your service your say feedback form (PDF, 570 KB, 12 pages)

Your service your say feedback form - under 18 (PDF, 590 KB, 12 pages)

Information and feedback forms in other languages